Oct 5, 2007

102 Things About Amethyst

This post is inspired by The Don

1. I can walk and brush my teeth simultaneously.
2. I love my life and wouldn't change a thing if I could.
3. I'm named after my grandmother, whom I've never met.
4. I'm a good listener.
5. I recently found out that I'm not indifferent towards stalkers.. They freak me out!
6. I don't believe in love at first sight.
7. I always forget where I parked the car.
8. I'm trying to stop swearing.
9. I don't think talking about religion is fruitful.
10. I feel like reading has made me a better person.
11. I have a heart although it's not so obvious.
12. Vincent van Gogh's work clears my head.
13. This number always triggers a train of thought in my mind starting with why some people believe it's unlucky.
14. I would head over to Australia any day.
15. I work well under stress.
16. It shows on my facial expressions when I'm faking it, and that's why I decided I shouldn't waste energy trying to be nice when I don't feel like it.
17. Paulo Coelho's work makes me experience lots of things all at once.
18. My copy of Maruqez's One Hundred Years of Solitude was borrowed in 11th grade and is now in Dubai.
19. I waited two months to get the book mentioned in 18.
20. I do my best not to be judgmental.
21. I like talking to strangers who I probably won't see again.
22. I wanted this to be my second post.
23. I found out Stella means star because of Stella McCartney. Surprise.
24. The first blog I ever read is Kila Ma6goog's 6akh 6ekh (The Princess).
25. I pity people who can hate.
26. A nerd, in my point of view, is someone who likes to study. That makes me not a nerd.
27. I hardly watch TV.
28. I hate having nothing to do although I complain about being busy.
29. I stopped reading/watching the news.
30. I'm the only girl (not in the world, in my family. I have two (not three, just two) brothers. Point explained;p
31. I can forgive, but I can't forget.
32. Reading allows me to escape reality.
33. Al Pacino became my favorite, most amazing actor after I watched The Devil's Advocate (which is one of my favorite movies).
34. I have a Primary & Secondary Care (CPR/First Aid/AED) certificate.
35. On my Primary & Secondary Care card, it says that my birthday is Jan 2nd.
36. I'm not obsessed with music. I listen to what I feel like listening to whenever I feel like it.
37. I live my life normally while fasting, and I wish everyone did just that.
38. I love the beach.
39. Being late makes me mad at myself for being careless, no matter what the reason.
40. I correct spelling and grammar mistakes in take away menus.
41. My feet eat at the shoes I'm wearing. They never last long.
42. Funerals change me in a strange way.
43. I'm not scared of death.
44. Butterflies are my favorite species to look at. Humans included.
45. I have a box full of memories that I open and go through when I need a reality check.
46. I love learning new words.
47. My favorite word at the moment is chiasmus. Thanks to Dr. B!
48. I have a coffee addiction which is causing me to look like I'm pissed in the morning because I'm fasting. I have to drive without my morning dose of caffeine as well. Horror.
49. I'm a perfectionist.
50. I have no problem with naked human beings unless they are engaged in stuff that should be kept private.
51. I get tiny red spots around my eyes (especially on my eyelids) after I cry of hurt/wrath. I can't believe I'm halfway through this.
52. While editing something, sentence fragments make me crazy.
53. Fragonard's paintings make me laugh.
54. I get worried easily.
55. I have an incurable food obsession because our house provides unlimited amounts of good food at all times.
56. Someone actually proposed to me once.
57. I believe that change can happen overnight if not in a few seconds.
58. I don't always agree with second chances.
59. Each individual in my family has a different way of thinking.
60. My parents and brothers don't read. My mom read a few books in her life. I feel like they are missing out on a lot.
61. I'm satisfied (if not more) with my appearance.
62. I don't drive well wearing a skirt.
63. I enjoy driving to class in the early morning. Another reason I love having class at 8am.
64. A year at KU has taught me more than the four years I've spent in high school.
65. I sing in the shower.
66. I don't like giving my phone number to people I don't know well.
67. One of my favorite days is "The Na7sha" day back in high school.
68. I was the editor of the school newspaper back in the day.
69. The only thing that involves numbers which I enjoy is Sudoku.
70. I've been told I look like Jennifer Garner. That does not have an ounce of truth in it.
71. I don't look like Natalie Portman either.
72. Right now, I'm singing Chris Daughtry's "Breakdown."
73. I don't like snow.
74. HAJS are one of the biggest blessings in my life.
75. George Bernard Shaw and Colin Farrell are two Irish men I admire for two different reasons.
76. My mood is always reflected by what I wear.
77. I have an extremely ticklish waist.
78. Lots of people mistake my blank expression for a pissed off one.
79. I never want to tweeze my eyebrows.
80. I love sticking to basic clothes. Jeans and white shirt. Jeans and black shirt. Etc.
81. Poshlust is my newfound love.
82. My uncle is my muse.
83. I know the words to "I Woke Up In Love This Morning" and "I Think I Love You" by The Partridge Family.
84. I went to school in Australia for three and a half months.
85. Gaucho Grill is heaven on earth for me.
86. I'm opinionated. I shock myself when I'm wrong.
87. I come up with my best ideas in the shower or in bed before I sleep.
88. Dancing liberates me.
89. Showers make me feel better no matter how I feel before them.
90. I had a strange childhood.
91. I still watch Tom & Jerry and laugh.
92. Kramer in Seinfeld is someone I would like to have in my life. I like his hair.
93. The first nekta (joke) I've ever heard in my life is: 2 ger3an yet`haweshoun 3ala meshe6 (2 baldies fighting over a comb). I found it funny at the time.
94. Marriage is a mystery to me.
95. I have a "reading" chair. It's green. It also comes with a matching footrest.
96. Two is my favorite number. It comes up a lot in my life.
97. I always wonder why Satan is also referred to as Lucifer, but I never found out.
98. My interest in other religions started in 1999. I met the first atheist to enter my life that summer.
99. My name is always spelled wrong in my passport.
100. I don't like the wet towels they give passengers on the plane.
101. I have hazel eyes. They can smile.
102. This list revealed me to myself.

42 comments:

haj said...

First of all, why did you choose 102 things?

Hahahaha yes, I must admit, I thought you had 3 brothers for a VERY long time! when did i find out that they were just 2? like last year? :pP but it STILL doesen't make sense to me, I have this feeling that you have 3 brothers! i dono, I just can't explain it! ... DON'T LAUGH ;p

I knew a lot of things on this list about you but i'm glad I found out more ... i love you :*

Anonymous said...

Atheist? interesting.

Mohammad Al-Yousifi said...

43. I'm not scared of death

this is either too deep or to shallow

:)

i wish i know 50 things about my self:P

Amethyst said...

haj
I had to have a two in there somewhere. OCD;p

The problem is you still think I have three!

I'm glad you found out more:)

blue dress
It's very interesting.

kila ma6goog
I'm afraid it's too shallow. I just decided that I wouldn't be scraed. Everyone's going to die. I might as well discuss it and read everything about it. I can't explain it.

I was thinking that. I surprised myself with this list (#102. Challenge yourself and give it a shot:)

Ms. Sarah said...

I wish my 100 Things About Me list was so simple.. i can't summarize each point into one sentence lol

i have this need to exaplin, comes with the job i think lol

Anonymous said...

That's long girl! I cannot cross over 50 points! Bas why Atheist... just explain to me in brief...


Also, I like Butterflies, I work well under stress- I never met my grandma the crazy WITCH!

YOU SHOULD DO YOUR EYEBROWS girl! :$

bebe said...

FINALLLYY !!!;\
..
beleive it or noot half of those things i DID NOT know..;*

its nice to kno u kno urself that well..if u asked me t do that id probably get stuck on # 10 and start goin through the boring phase..wel anyways this isent about me, this is about YOU;*
luv the ideaass babe
keep it up!;p

Amethyst said...

swair
Exactly why you're a teacher:)

chikapappi
Atheists, in brief, are religious skeptics.

I didn't meet my gran because she died before I was born. I'm sure she wasn't a witch;p

I absolutely refuse to do my eyebrows. I'm fine with how I look, wouldn't change a thing.

bebe
I really wanted to slap you;p

I think if you do try it sometime, you'd surprise yourself. I got to know myself through this list.

Anonymous said...

I know what it means girl - I just wanna know how you are one! in brief too

& FYI, atheists are not those skeptic ones bas those who totally do not believe in God's - a creator's presence

Amethyst said...

chikapappi
I'm not atheist.

98. My interest in other religions started in 1999. I met the first atheist to enter my life that summer.

I'm Muslim. I just met my first atheist, who is still a friend, summer of 1999:)

2 Second Club ® said...

Wonderful list.. I enjoyed every bit of it.. You know, after making mine, Many people were inspired and did their own, but to tell you the truth, yours is the best. Many people did it, but instead of baring their souls, they kept it sooooooooo shallow, others started the list talking about them selves, and all of a sudden, they were talking about their brothers and sisters.. lol

Yours was so sincere.. I loved it.. and thanks for the mention.. you have the writer’s integrity indeed :)

Unknown said...

hahaha nice list you got there ;p some of which made me laugh ;p .. and i HAAAATE those wet towels they give out in the airplane! Ufff wai3 once i saw this ladyy cleaning her sons foot with themm.. and then she wiped her face with the same one ;/ and that was like in 4th grade.. i still rememberr ;/

arch96madi said...

omg!!! rasi 9ada3 min readin this!!! oo mashala il comments ba3ad akthar la ilaha illa allah!!!.... loool.. actually ta8reeban all those 102 things i know abt u... hehe! 7imdila.. it turns out i know u well!!!!! oo its great to remind urself how great u r once in a while,,,, eventhough i know u do that yimkin everyday... luv u my amasing amethyst....

Organic Kuwait said...

i just scanned through ur list and i love u already! etwanseeen.. ill come back to read it all again soon!

Amethyst said...

the don
Haha, yeah I know what you mean. They'd start saying "My brother..." thinking that the "my" would be enough.

Thank you for your kind words:)

farah
Lol! You always have the strangest stories. You do realized that you get a clean towel to start with, right? Even though it wiped someone's feet or behind in its past life, it's clean;p

hassawi
I think I love this list because I haven't told myself how great I am for a while now. Luv u;*

ony
Thanks, hun! Take your time:)

Anonymous said...

hiya !! finally i found the time to check you blog :P

i love the list you made, i honestly wouldn't be able to list 10 things about me with out changing it every now and then :P lol

i like the way you think, while i was reading you list; i bet the neighbours heard me say "OMG ME TOO, I HATE IT WHEN PPL ARE ALL HOLY IN RAMADAN!!!"

anywho, inshalah i'll be commenting more ;) keep up the good work

Amethyst said...

dana
All you had to write was "Dana":)

Welcome! Yes, it's sad isn't it? Their morals are put on display in Ramadhan only. Funny.

Organic Kuwait said...

i said ill come back for this ;P sounds fun hehehe:

1. me tooooooooooo in fact i cant brush while standing !

ok ill list the things we have in common:

2 4 5 6 7 9 10 12 13 16 17 20 21 27 36 37 38 39 40 45 46 54 57 58 59 61 79 86 92 100

31 made me think a little about my inner me, i found out after a bit of thought that i forget easily but i do not forgive! This applies to one person in my life only, I forgot many of the things she hurt me with but I cant forgive her I struggled with that for so long and I decided im not going to lie and say I forgave her I still have alottt of work to do to reach there.

91 i never liked tom and jerry its a horror movie to me.

finally i would like to thank u for keeping me company for 25 mins until hubby got back home :")

Amethyst said...

ony
Doesn't it piss you off when people demand of you that you tweeze your eyebrows! Grrr!

Van Gogh + Coelho + Kramer:)

You're very welcome!

Ra7aLaH said...

The word "Lucifer" in Isaiah 14:12 presents a minor problem to mainstream Christianity. It becomes a much larger problem to Bible literalists, and becomes a huge obstacle for the claims of Mormonism. John J. Robinson in A Pilgrim's Path, pp. 47-48 explains:

"Lucifer makes his appearance in the fourteenth chapter of the Old Testament book of Isaiah, at the twelfth verse, and nowhere else: "How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! How art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!"
The first problem is that Lucifer is a Latin name. So how did it find its way into a Hebrew manuscript, written before there was a Roman language? To find the answer, I consulted a scholar at the library of the Hebrew Union College in Cincinnati. What Hebrew name, I asked, was Satan given in this chapter of Isaiah, which describes the angel who fell to become the ruler of hell?

The answer was a surprise. In the original Hebrew text, the fourteenth chapter of Isaiah is not about a fallen angel, but about a fallen Babylonian king, who during his lifetime had persecuted the children of Israel. It contains no mention of Satan, either by name or reference. The Hebrew scholar could only speculate that some early Christian scribes, writing in the Latin tongue used by the Church, had decided for themselves that they wanted the story to be about a fallen angel, a creature not even mentioned in the original Hebrew text, and to whom they gave the name "Lucifer."

Why Lucifer? In Roman astronomy, Lucifer was the name given to the morning star (the star we now know by another Roman name, Venus). The morning star appears in the heavens just before dawn, heralding the rising sun. The name derives from the Latin term lucem ferre, bringer, or bearer, of light." In the Hebrew text the expression used to describe the Babylonian king before his death is Helal, son of Shahar, which can best be translated as "Day star, son of the Dawn." The name evokes the golden glitter of a proud king's dress and court (much as his personal splendor earned for King Louis XIV of France the appellation, "The Sun King").

The scholars authorized by ... King James I to translate the Bible into current English did not use the original Hebrew texts, but used versions translated ... largely by St. Jerome in the fourth century. Jerome had mistranslated the Hebraic metaphor, "Day star, son of the Dawn," as "Lucifer," and over the centuries a metamorphosis took place. Lucifer the morning star became a disobedient angel, cast out of heaven to rule eternally in hell. Theologians, writers, and poets interwove the myth with the doctrine of the Fall, and in Christian tradition Lucifer is now the same as Satan, the Devil, and --- ironically --- the Prince of Darkness.

So "Lucifer" is nothing more than an ancient Latin name for the morning star, the bringer of light. That can be confusing for Christians who identify Christ himself as the morning star, a term used as a central theme in many Christian sermons. Jesus refers to himself as the morning star in Revelation 22:16: "I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star."

And so there are those who do not read beyond the King James version of the Bible, who say 'Lucifer is Satan: so says the Word of God'...."

Henry Neufeld (a Christian who comments on Biblical sticky issues) went on to say,
"this passage is often related to Satan, and a similar thought is expressed in Luke 10:18 by Jesus, that was not its first meaning. It's primary meaning is given in Isaiah 14:4 which says that when Israel is restored they will "take up this taunt against the king of Babylon . . ." Verse 12 is a part of this taunt song. This passage refers first to the fall of that earthly king...
How does the confusion in translating this verse arise? The Hebrew of this passage reads: "heleyl, ben shachar" which can be literally translated "shining one, son of dawn." This phrase means, again literally, the planet Venus when it appears as a morning star. In the Septuagint, a 3rd century BC translation of the Hebrew scriptures into Greek, it is translated as "heosphoros" which also means Venus as a morning star.

How did the translation "lucifer" arise? This word comes from Jerome's Latin Vulgate. Was Jerome in error? Not at all. In Latin at the time, "lucifer" actually meant Venus as a morning star. Isaiah is using this metaphor for a bright light, though not the greatest light to illustrate the apparent power of the Babylonian king which then faded."

Therefore, Lucifer wasn't equated with Satan until after Jerome. Jerome wasn't in error. Later Christians (and Mormons) were in equating "Lucifer" with "Satan".

Amethyst said...

Ra7alah
Thank you! You saved me from torment.

How ironic can things get? Starting out as a word which means "bearer of light" and evolving to a word which means "Prince of Darkness" is shocking. This is why I'm into language and literature. Again, the Bible is a good book:)

I'll definitely share this with friends. Thanks again!

A.T.C said...

What an intresting List!!!!!
I should try to do one! but i'll be tired cos i know 1000's of things about myself, cos i spent my whole life thinking about myself and the world around me! what we have in common, why we both r shallow and deep in the same time! i better write about this next time!!! :) there r things in yr list that i disagree about and will tell you why next time i see u on-line!!!
remember "Not Fair"? it came up to my mind and after yr premission i'd like to post it here:

Not Fair
by: M.J.B

Walking to the battlefield,
Taking the roads of shame
They know it's wrong,
All they want is fame
Medals and pride on the corps,
Whom to balme?
Dead father,
For a right case they claim
To a mother with her child,
A sniper aim
A boy facing a tank
With a smile says ''it's all the same''
Dead bodies all around,
No tags No names
War is hell,
To them it's part of the game
I cried and cried
Saw a red sock,
A pair,
Little girl's body,
Not Fair.

Amethyst said...

a.t.c
Hmm.. I'm curious what you disagree about. You better be online soon. Yes, I remember "Not Fair":)

Say hi to D.

Anonymous said...

MASHALLAAAAAAAAAA da list couldnt finish :S bas yea im glad i knew most of them ,, il7mdilla :P only lil few i was like oh ok :P heheh ,, im actually thinking of writing 1 for myself b3d ,, thts IF IF i hv time :/ and always remember ,, ur a GR8 person !! thts y im frnds with u ;p hahaha .. love u so much ;**

Anonymous said...

MASHALLAAAAAAAAAA da list couldnt finish :S bas yea im glad i knew most of them ,, il7mdilla :P only lil few i was like oh ok :P heheh ,, im actually thinking of writing 1 for myself b3d ,, thts IF IF i hv time :/ and always remember ,, ur a GR8 person !! thts y im frnds with u ;p hahaha .. love u so much ;**

Amethyst said...

S
I'm wondering what you didn't know. I'm setting a trend;p Don't tell me things I already know. I know how great I am;p

Anonymous said...

Interesting...but its too long for me like a story book by the time I reached 102, I forgot what I read on 2 :P

but I rem most of them,hehe

Amethyst said...

Amu
Lol! You're contradicting yourself;p

Anonymous said...

woah, why did u choose 102 anyhow?
It is SCARY, seriously.. we have so much in common, as if I was reading my never-finished list cept for the australia part though "I didn't study in australia"

I used to love the word Chiasmus too when I was a sophomore, I am over it now though :)

I happened to know many atheists too, I believe beliefs are something private, Death is something I embrace :)

I loved the list :)

Amethyst said...

OpeRon
Lol, yeah? I would be freaked out, too.

Beliefs are something I consider very personal. That's why I try not to discuss religion openly or argue that one is better than the other. Everyone has their own set of guidelines they follow in life.

The list loves you, too;p

Bulletii said...

48. I have a coffee addiction which is causing me to look like I'm pissed in the morning because I'm fasting. I have to drive without my morning dose of caffeine as well. Horror.

i want that to be my addiction :[

Amethyst said...

Bulletii
Trust me, you don't;p

Âme said...

Will there be a 103 ?

~ Soul

Amethyst said...

Soul
No, but there might be another list:)

Âme said...

Is it because you dislike odd numbers ?

~ Soul

Amethyst said...

Partly, but 2 is my favorite number;p

Âme said...

Any reason which dates back to your childhood, about your like of number 2 ?

~ Soul

Amethyst said...

Soul
Not really. It's everywhere.

My birthday is on the second of the second. I'm the second child. Things like that;p

Âme said...

Suggestion: Keep a post for Testimonials.

People like me would love to write one for you.

~ Soul

Amethyst said...

Soul
Strangely, I've had that in mind for quite a while.

I'll do just that when I get back:)

Thanks for the encouragement!

Âme said...

Pleasures' is all mine :)

~ Soul

Amethyst said...

Soul
:)