Nov 28, 2007

A virgin tragedy, an orphan Muse

Okay. I decided to finally explain why I've stopped watching TV. I'm hoping this is enough to stop people gasping at my TV resistence.
Yesterday, my best friend's sister was interviewed live on a show. Before she came on, the two presenters were interviewing an old man on a universal organization's goals etc. The interviewed man was reading off cards, mumbling, monotonous, and had this strange sneer/smirk on his face the whole time! Please pretend you're a professional representative of this well-known organization! PLEASE! Oh, and the presenters looked bored. Could you at least pretend to listen to the guy? Nod, do anything! Don't stare at your shoes and fix your hair!
They had a survey on men and shopping. Women were portrayed (by men and women) as shopaholics who do nothing but pull their husbands with them to shopping sprees and spend their money. Shda3wa? Not one person thought there's one man out there who enjoys shopping? Not one person said women are reasonable? How about shopping for things other than clothes and shoes? Books? Movies? Toys? Anything? ;\
The last time I cam across something on TV was a Khaleeji series. It was the last episode. In exactly two minutes the following happens:
Brother presents medical report from hospital to sister's husband that proves sister's ability to conceive babies. Husband realizes that he can't have kids. Wife finds out that husband has a second wife. Husband is shocked because his second wife told him she is pregnant. Wife confesses to brother that she gave her husband all her wealth/properties. Brother threatens husband that he will kill him if he doesn't give back everything he took. Husband tells them that he gave everything to second wife.
Wow? I'm not interested anymore. Not in talk shows, not in series, not in game shows, not in reality TV, etc. Khalas people, I'd rather read and pop in DVDs once in a while.

---
WARNING: This might spoil your breakfast/lunch/dinner.

Cyanide and Happiness, a daily webcomic
Cyanide & Happiness @ Explosm.net

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

You r 100% right! Tv suck!

Amethyst said...

Cat
Thank you!

*takes a quick bow because no time to bask in glory*

Unknown said...

Do you know why at least this is what is on TV? Because people are interested in controversial topics, they are pulled in by extreme stories and stuff. Why the hell would people watch reality shows like fear or whatever the heck they do by eating crap and other stuff!

Regular people sometimes watch this stuff only to catch up or see what is going on with this world. Either way, it sucks, TV sucks. I love documentaries now more than anything else, and TV shows like Heroes o rab3a :p

Anonymous said...

Well, N. is right people just love watching shit & enjoy making fun of people & takes turns stabbing each other which sux! Arabic shows are dumb !

Amethyst said...

N.
Controversial topics? How about the tragic wars in Lebanon and Iraq? How about the polluted politics in our country? How about the crazy religious massacres going on not so far from here? Isn't that more controversial than shopping and fertility?

Heroes? I'm rolling my eyes, but I'm starting it some times soon;p

Chika
I agree. Damn it.

Unknown said...

These are discussed in the news. Not so much in Kuwait, you'll find such topics in Aljazeera and whatnot.

Amethyst said...

N.
I know, but why not weave them into series and reality tv or whatever? Not many people watch the news. Some people don't even know what's going on in our country.

Unknown said...

Because the majority of the public does not want to watch this stuff on a daily basis. They are interested when they feel like it. They are more into 7alima, o Haifa o rabe3hom. Have you seen the number of music/chat channels there are out there! It is ridiculous! :/

Amethyst said...

N.
It is ridiculous. It kind of angers me. I'm disappointed in our society tv-wise. Mn seji!

Unknown said...

I haven't seen Alwatan TV much, but I'm assuming it is on the right track. I wouldn't know. The programming itself is very limited. There are NO tv mosalsalat that are worth watching. The programs and people to interview are also limited. I don't know, it would be a good idea if you would start your own TV channel, wouldn't that be nice. Hehe, this is why there are channels like Ghiras, and Alafasy. They concentrate more on moral topics.

This is media, not only in TV but movies as well as magazines and other mass media.

Amethyst said...

N.
Ghiras, Alafasy, etc. are directed to everyone, BUT not everyone feels that the material complements their faith/values. Understood?

I think I'm fine with the rest of mass media;p

Unknown said...

Sure it may not appeal to everyone, but thats the best (or all) there is so far. I don't interact much with the rest of mass media, so if you're fine with then OK, it would be a pain if you'd stop TV, magazines, newspapers, etc etc :p

Amethyst said...

N.
There's satsifaction everywhere mn kether ma ako ashya2 out there. 7ata the weirdos can find magazines and crap. But not enough controversy for mature people like me;p

I tried to stop reading the paper. It didn't work ;\

Unknown said...

It seems you need to find yourself some debate team of a kind. Printed controversy isn't enough for you, you need to get your hands dirty! :P Or so it seems that way hehe.

Amethyst said...

N.
I wish I had the time:)

Next post is about my real life debates with annoying people;p

Unknown said...

lol will be looking forward to that ;p

Amethyst said...

N.
;)