May 16, 2008

The Kite Runner

Cyanide and Happiness, a daily webcomic
Cyanide & Happiness @ Explosm.net


---


Setting: A frequently visited library in the house of A. The windows are open despite the heat. Both A and I are sitting on the floor, their legs stretched out in front of them, their backs to opposing walls. The smell of Chinese noodles merges with the smell of dusty books. There's music playing in the background of their conversation. The color of the scene is blue.




A: So, what happened to you?


I: What happened to me?


A: Yeah, what happened to you?


I: You weren't there for me when everything happened. Why do you feel like you have the right to know?


A: I wasn't there for you because you were being stubborn.


I: Accusations will only lead to another fight...


A: So, what changed you?


I: I'm not changed. I'm just a bit more grown up. *cracks a sincere smile*


A: *Raises an eyebrow* And you're a bit more grown up because?


I: Because life's cruel?


A: Life's cruel? What've you been living since you were born?


I: Some strange reality?


A: Called life?


I: Called the attempt of life?


A: *Laughs*


I: What?


A: You never give up!


I: Why would I?


A: Because I'm trying to break the ice and get you to spill!


I: There is no ice. It melted the moment I agreed to seeing you, darling. Now, I refuse to spill.


A: Okay, give me an idea of what happened.


I: Something unpredictable happened, and it brought out a different side of me.


A: That's it?


I: That's it.




*Silence. A is staring at I. I is pretending to read her book. She's staring at the page, and her mind is wandering to some other place. She snaps back to reality when A coughs.*




I: Why are you staring at me?


A: I'm trying to read you.


I: You can't.


A: Why not?


I: Because what you're trying to read is gone. I let it all out last week before closure. *laughs nervously*


A: Does that mean you're happy now?


I: Why should it?




*Silence again, and like the previous silence, I pretends to read her book, and A stares at her.*




A: We never talked like this before.


I: Yeah, we did! The time you were trying to get me to understand where I would be crossing the line of "social boundaries".


A: *Laughs loudly* That doesn't count. You were upset.


I: I wasn't upset. You weren't explaining things correctly.


A: I didn't know what exactly there was to explain.


I: *Grins* Exactly, you were bullshitting philosophically 3ala rasi!


A: *Laughs again*


I: Hmm?


A: It wasn't meant to be like that.


I: But it turned out that way, now, apologize for confusing me even further instead of straightening things out!


A: *Still laughing* Ridiculous!


I: Hehehe, I know.


A: Read aloud.


I: I don't feel like it.


A: Read dramatically, feel it.


I: Mali khelg. I can't.


A: Mu bkaifech!


I: Fine, but not this book. Let me get something else from the shelves.


A: Poetry?


I: Arabic or English?


A: Shayfa wayhech tabeen tegrainli 3arabi?!


I: *Cracks up* I can do Elyah Abu Mathi really well!


A: 9alay 3al nebi bas.. Pick something else.


I: *Walking around, looking at the shelves* Walt Whitman?


A: Whitman will do.


I: *Leans on the shelf and opens up to her favorite part*




"I celebrate myself, and sing myself,


And what I assume you shall assume,


For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you..."




*A few minutes later*




"A Phantom arose before me, with distrustful aspect,
Terrible in beauty, age, and power,
The genius of poets of old lands,
As to me directing like flame its eyes,
With finger pointing to many immortal songs,
And menacing voice, What singest thou? it said;"




*Still later*




"But O heart! heart! heart!
O the bleeding drops of red,
Where on the deck my Captain lies,
Fallen cold and dead."




*Later, after the Whitman has ceased to delay A's curiousity any further*




A: So, what happened to you?


I: You can't be serious.. Now, who do you feel bad for more, the Captain or the persona?


A: The Captain. You're ignoring my question.


I: Why the Captain? Yes, I'm ignoring your question.. Intentionally.


A: *Stares at I helplessly* You're shutting me off.


I: I know. Will it comfort you if I tell you that you're not the only person I'm shutting off when it comes to this?


A: No. I'm not one of your friends.


I: I know. I could tell a stranger, A, but I can't tell you or anyone who knows me as well as you do.


A: You're scared.


I: Terrified. And I won't let you in. You'll only make things worse.


* A walks over*


I: Please, don't touch me. I'm okay. I'll be fine.


A: Okay.


I: *Smiles* You read for me this time. *Handing over a book to A*


A: *Takes in a deep breath and sits on the floor at I's feet*




"She had read my newspaper articles, my stories, and my only novel... Yet I did nothing but elude the traps of nostalgia with the mean-spirited cowardice that only men are capable of..."

16 comments:

Manutdfanatic said...

I want to read; have to run a kite.

Will get back and read.

No, really, I actually have to run...there's only so much car honking one can endure.

Late-ness!

Amethyst said...

Manutdfanatic
The post will be here when you're not late anymore;p

Mohammad Al-Yousifi said...

the best movie in 2007

Purgatory said...

Your cartoon is copying my drawings!

Big Pearls said...

will ou be my friend?;)

Anonymous said...

beautifully written
'attempt of life' interesting :)
Do you think someone is better off with the concept of life as you see it now? Or would you prefer the 'attempt of life' phase?

Amethyst said...

Kila Ma6goog
I'll watch it after I read the book:)

ThePurg
No, it's not!

Big Pearls
Hehe, aren't we friends already?;)

jesterat314
Thank you.

I think it depends on the person. As for me, I find myself living both and being okay with both:)

Hasan.B said...

Ma hatha. I just finished watching the movie just now, and the first website I open says the kite runner?! A very bad movie though. The book was much better

Amethyst said...

Hasan.B
Mere coincidence;p

I'm reading the book, now. I'll watch the movie when I'm done, and I'll let you know what I think:)

haj said...

I love A!!! you're lucky to have someone like that ..

Amethyst said...

Haj
Me, too.. Luck as hell:)

Manutdfanatic said...

Don't touch me. I'll be okay.

Rings a bell.

Moniker said...

this was an amusing read :)

"A" reminds me of my bestie...and coincidently her name begins with an A also :p

Amethyst said...

Manutdfanatic
What bell, if I may?

Moniker
Glad it amused you:)

Besties are great to have around all the time;)

Manutdfanatic said...

A bell in the distant prisons of my mind.

Amethyst said...

Manutdfanatic
I guess I'm here to ring all the bells I can;)