Nov 24, 2007

Siren

I'm back. It was painful. A spiritual nothing. Still thankful.
---
This is another why, people. Why do people feel the need to draw people into their beliefs, values, system of thinking, their idea of right and wrong, etc? I have my own set of sub-faiths that make up my bigger faith which includes morality, religion, spirituality, etc. There are things I am not ashamed of, but I'd rather not discuss. For example, I do not believe that talking about religion/spirituality is fruitful.
Sometimes, I express certain spiritual points to prove a point. I find that people are curious to know more. When I avoid saying more than needed to prove my point, I get the strangest reactions. On the plane earlier today, I was reading the newspaper. My two friends were discussing the college elections with a girl (stranger to me, friend to them). The girl asked me why I'm not discussing the topic with them. I told her I just don't believe that I should try and convince you to vote for a certain group. If you didn't vote at all, I would convince you to vote. However, I would never try and convince you to vote for the people I vote for. After that, I avoided a religious discussion. Later, she told my two friends that she didn't like me because I'm not social, lack faith and personality, and look down on people. Wow?
I feel like for people to genuinely support an idea, set of morals, a religion, and so forth, it should come from inside. They should look into it themselves, think it through, apply it to their life, and decide. There is nothing out there that I would support merely because someone told me all its positives. I think that before anything is supported, we should attack it from all side to make sure it stands alone as a pillar of truth.
Again, why do people feel the need to impose everything on everyone so strongly? Why are you an introverted arrogant person if you refuse to discuss certain topics? Why is everything such a show for people to judge? Why?!
It's your choice whether or not you want to see these questions as rhetorical.
---
Cyanide and Happiness, a daily webcomic
Cyanide & Happiness @ Explosm.net

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

el7emdella 3ala salamtch :)

Grey said...

i wrote a comment with one hand ( while having dinner ) and it didnt get through ! Just to let you know ! you have a very good point ! i agree with you !

Mohammad Al-Yousifi said...

عسى بس مو نغزة عليّ؟

Soud said...

Welcome back and by the way u have positive personality

ومتى راح تقولين لنا وين رحتى ؟؟
:p

Unknown said...

7emdellah 3al salamaaaaaaaaaaa
and why? I dunno why, and if you find out why let me know!

Amethyst said...

Speedo
Allah ysalmek:)

Grey
Oh, well. Thanks:)

Kila Ma6goog
Hehe, laish? You don't impose, you share. Besides, almost all your views are smiliar to mine.

Soud
Thanks:)

ما راح أقولكم

N.
Allah ysalmek:)

This morning I discussed this with my uncle after relating a few incidents, and he thinks it's because some people feel the need to be satisfied with what they believe in by imposing it on others. In other words, they try to convince others in order to convince themselves. If others find it worthy enough to believe in, they are comforted. Does that sound awkward?

Unknown said...

I think that makes sense. Pretty lame, but makes sense.

Amethyst said...

N.
Yeah, I know. Strange world.

haj said...

Does it have anyting to do with normative influence? Conformity based on a person's desire to fulfill others' expectations, often to gain acceptance.

Amethyst said...

Haj
It could be. I believe that it differs from person to person.

Making use of your psychology class?

Miss u, but love you more;*

haj said...

7ada! LOVE my psychology class!

Amethyst said...

Haj
Good:)

Anonymous said...

Welcome back
:)

Amethyst said...

Cat
Thanks, darling:)