Jan 29, 2008

Haven't Danced

Warning: Might spoil your appetite/meal..


Cyanide and Happiness, a daily webcomic
Cyanide & Happiness @ Explosm.net


---


I have two obsessions.. No, four: Reading, food, coffee, and music. Not in that order. So, the one giving me a hard time these days is the coffee, but I can't do anything about that. It's also helping my obsession with food. The more coffee I drink, the less food I eat. The music can be controlled. The reading can't. Seriously. I can't seem to control it. As soon as I finish one book, I start another. For some reason, it doesn't seem okay.

So, since the break has begun I have finished Lolita, The Virgin Suicides, and started The Book Theif. And I feel like sharing my take on those. I won't tell you which I recommend and which I don't.

Lolita, a book about a grown up man violating a little girl, is a translated captivation. I'm scarred for life. The book is a first person narration which leads you into HH's (Humbert Humbert, the pervert) mind. The way he think leaves me in a state of shock and wonderment. But again, it explains a lot about men. The book actually widened my perspective in a strange way. I'm more willing to expose the sexist me.

The Virgin Suicides, by the author of Middlesex, makes me wish I hadn't read it after Lolita. The language in this book is simple, and it stresses the importance of basic things, whether concrete or abstract. Again, it explains a lot about men. The books is told in a third person narration by a man (back then a boy) infatuated by five girls in his neighborhood.

The Book Theif is definitely a page turner. I read the first 16 pages while making coffee and somewhat talking on the phone. Narrated by death, it starts by striking the reader:




HERE IS A SMALL FACT

You are going to die.


P.S. There is hope I might get my hands on a copy of The Kite Runner when school starts. Yay!
---


On a completely random note, my uncle thinks it's okay to go to a formal lunch in a training suit if the host is one of his brothers or sisters. Anyone care to explain?

19 comments:

F. said...

Ok..the strip is disturbingly funny :P

I don't see why you're reading obsession is problematic...the more books you read the better I think...but that's just coming from another bookworm! Maybe we should hear someone else's take on this matter...not you Hussain!

Amethyst said...

F.
That was fast;)

Lol! I know!

It's problematic because I'm pissing people off. I'd rather read than listen to what they have to say;p

Nymphadora said...

I want to read the book on death lol ( i know it sounds creepy bs mali 5lg i go back and see the title :P )and u can find the kite runner in jareer ;)

Amethyst said...

Nymphadora
Hehe.. The Book Theif;p

I'll update when I'm done with it. It seems promising:)

Amethyst said...

Nymphadora
Hey, would you please change the settings, so that I can comment on your blog?

Mohammad Al-Yousifi said...

u have to see the movie

kite runner

fan6as6ic

um-miT3ib said...

its because training suits are amazing and the only place mayseer albes;hom ohwa 3irs:P


oh and mayta aby agra the kite runner wayed yimdi7oona.. bs chiny maly khilg mashakel afgahnistan 3ala ghafla ib my book;p

do0da said...

training suits are comfy :P and its his bro/sis whats the problem :P yea yea its formal well hes close enuf to the host to unformalize it :P

^ if only things really worked this way

the book theif sounds interesting but i just wrote i aint touching books for a while :P and the first two sound like they were just written to make us look bad :P

Anonymous said...

training suits are coooooooooool

Amethyst said...

Kila Ma6goog
I will watch it after I read the book.

I'll let you know how it goes:)

Um Mit3ib
Lol!

Agoulich if it's worth it after I read it;p

Btw, his other book A Thousand Splendid Suns is really good.

do0da
Lol! La, things don't work that way. People seemed alright though. He pulled it off somehow;p

Hehe, you make you look bad. No books need to be written about that;)

Cat
Even for formal lunches?

suspic said...

A must, balance is.

Imagine life as a golden triangle, always in the middle of the angles you must stay.

Amethyst said...

Suspic
That won't work in my world. It's not part of my lifestyle;p

haj said...

totally fine wearing training suits, first cuz their hott, comfy andd hottt lol!!! besides its ur brother or sister wats the big deal! ;)

Amethyst said...

Haj
Lol! The big deal is it's a FORMAL lunch. Everyone is in either dshdasha or like pants and shirts w ohwa 7athreta labes training suit?! Enzain LAISH?! I couldn't even get myself to wear jeans;p

Unknown said...

I saw the movie the virgin Suicides it is quite interesting. Watching is different than reading for sure.

I don't understand your uncle, maybe he felt casual :p

Amethyst said...

N.
I'm trying to get my hands on a copy;)

Sometimes you don't dress how you feel;p

Manutdfanatic said...

I read 'The Kite Runner' only two days ago. In all truth, it is a FABTASTIC book! No typing error there; honestly, I'm running out of words to justly allot it its due share of praise, hence the new word invention.

Make sure you read the book BEFORE watching the movie though; haven't seen it as yet either, but you know the age-old thing...the books are almost always SO much better than the movies!

I'm contemplating posting about it soon Inshallah.

P.S:- Yes, I am high. I can babble/giggle/laugh simultaneously right now. I need sleep. Soon.

And no, it's not my first visit to your blog, it's probably my first comment. =)

Cheers.

Amethyst said...

Manutdfanatic
Exactly my intentions: I shall read the book before I watch the movie.

True, the book is always better than the movie.

Can't wait to read it!

Cheers:)

Amethyst said...
This comment has been removed by the author.