Jun 28, 2008

Aj & The Stage

Cyanide and Happiness, a daily webcomic
Cyanide & Happiness @ Explosm.net


---


Cyanide and Happiness, a daily webcomic
Cyanide & Happiness @ Explosm.net


---


I walk in wearing an oriental wrap dress and my favorite shoes. My hair is up in a comfortable easy updo. My bangs line my forehead. Eyeliner and gold eyeshadow accent my eyes. I smile at myself in the mirror, ignoring the migraine. I walk into the room filled with people. Familiar and unfamiliar faces look my way. I smile wider and begin formalities and pleasantries.


I nod at the right time, asking appropriate questions about the daughter that gave birth or the sister that got married. I listen to the details that don't really matter to me. I take my place next to my friend, whispering in her ear that I'm going to leave early. She turns to face me, and I remind her that I have another lunch to go to.


I cross my legs and straighten my back. I answer questions about myself, hoping that I won't be asked about anyone else. Soon, we are all sitting at the table eating lunch. I play with my food as they talk about men who have done women wrong and vice versa. I'm angered by such discussions. They don't know enough to discuss these personal issues. No matter how many details they gather, what goes on in the house between two people who are alone is another matter. Shouldn't they be experienced enough to know that?


I stay quiet, refusing to comment on any of the social talk/gossip that is being said. Two and a half hours later, I change my dress and leave. This time, I walk in wearing the same shoes but a different light summer dress. I smile as I apologize for not being able to come earlier. I hug, kiss, and playfully slap. I lay back on the sofa, kicking off my shoes.


I listen to their gossip without commenting while devouring a plate of brownies. Then, I shift the conversation to something else. Something that doesn't concern people I don't care about. Three hours later, I leave to my aunt's house.


I rush in breathless, hoping I have arrived before the awaited guests. Relief. I have. Just as I finish freshening up, the door bell rings. I make sure everything is set right and open the door. Another series of smiles and formalities.


I sit through the conversations, only present physically. I can no longer digest anything, whether physically or mentally. I stare at a spot on the wall and meditate to clear my head, realizing that the migraine is still there. When the guests leave, I leave.


As soon as I get home, I look at my bed. Tempted to throw myself upon it, I give it my back and reach for my textbook.


That is yesterday. Social Obligations Day. They love your company, you have to go. They come to all our social events, you have to go. They invite you by name, you have to go. They ask about you every time you're not there, you have to go. And so it is.. I go.


When I finally had two minutes for myself, I realized that I would rather deal with academic obligations than social ones. And that doesn't make me weird. At all.

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

just keep doin what ur doing...too many thoughts will cause alot of cofusion :)

Amethyst said...

Amu
I don't get it.

Anonymous said...

BURN ! :)
That must have been a long day.. im happy you survived it :) We live in a society that got used to gossiping, its good to see that you don't care about it unlike many others.

Journal Entries said...

now that's a busy day!

i hate it when i have more than a gathering day.. gatherings consume alot of energy =S

Amethyst said...

jesterat314
Mean, I know, but really funny;p

A very long day.

Why concern yourself with talk about other people who do not matter to me?

I'm glad I taught myself not to care about gossip.

A Journal Entry
Yeah;\

I know! And my mother always comes up with a list of reasons of why I shouldn't ditch!;\

Anonymous said...

nope, it doesnt make you weird...

i do it all the time too ;)

FourMe said...

hahahahaha hilarious burn burn LOOL!

I don't bother with social crap, I only do when it is a must!

Amethyst said...

ĐǻñĎõøðñ
:)

FourMe
I know! BURN;p

Lucky you. My mom stands over my head until I tell her I'll go;p

Big Pearls said...

it's sad how we have to sit at gatherings and listen to loads of unfair gossip about other ppl..hate it.

Amethyst said...

Big Pearls
That's why I refuse to participate..

Mohammad Al-Yousifi said...

super jerk

ythakerne eb wa7ed greeb mene wayed:P

Amethyst said...

Kila Ma6goog
Lol!

Now, I'm curious;p

The Archer said...

lol @ the comics :p gotta love em!

*hug*

It is very tiring. More so for women than men. I guess that's the price some of us have to pay. Bas il7imdillah 3ala kil 7al. :)

Long warm bath does the trick at washing away.. umm.. whatever needs washing away :p~

p.s. I want some of those brownies! (6)

F. said...

Comics funny as usual...(note to self: I should stop being redundant)

That sounded like a hectic day. I usually look forward to stuff like that...but I know you don't...so...umm

God I lost myself...

I agree with Amu...I think what he's trying to say is you think too much about stuff...you should...stop thinking?

I miss you...I shall come to see you soon...I promise (ew...cheesy!)

pjanoo said...

haha burn! i loved that!:P

ugh, i hate gatherings.

KTDP said...

Gave up on gatherings a long time ago. My family and friends think I'm an idiot for doing so. In my mind taking 4 hours to play metal gear solid or call of duty makes more sense than sitting around shooting the shit......

Amethyst said...

The Archer
Hehe, yeah! BURN!;p

I know;\

Hehe, not time for long baths. Quick showers:)

No!;O

F.
Lol!

No, I look forward to it when I know the people well and all. I don't look forward to it when it's people that don't really matter, you know?

You know me, I can't stop thinking.

You had better;*

Sourire
Me 2!

See my reply to F.

KTDP
Don't give up on all of them. Some are fun!

Anonymous said...

woah that is one looong day!... ur not weird just smart, sensible, and wise beyond your years... good luck;p

PaLoMiNo said...

Not weird at all!!!

I hate these social events!! aaaaaaaaaagghhhhhhrrrr

for the migraine 7abeebty ma tshofeen shar and read fourme post and comments :)

kella met2a5er said...

It sounds like a really really long freakin day!! but it seems that you maneged to cut through it til the end..

I like the way you wrote it..I couldnt stop reading it!! really nice =)

Silver said...

why wud u think its weird? ;/

Ruby Woo said...

ur cartoon mo rathi yi6la3 3andi!!

Anonymous said...

Very well written! I loved it...

You described mindless presence at all these gatherings sooooo well!

White Wings said...

just a little weird
:)
those social obligations are exhosting, i agree, but sometimes it is so sweet to see family you haven't seen for ages, wouldn't you say?

Kaos said...

Its like noise huh :)?
3ady consider it like the airport or mall noise of ppl chatting.
Excuse my ignorance and u prolly talked about it b4 but what exactly is poshlust?

Amethyst said...

purelyorchid
Hehe, thanks:)

Palomino
:)

I know;\

I don't take medicine; I can't handle surgery;p

Kella Met2a5er
Yeah, we always manage.

Thanks:)

Silver
Because people around me seem to enjoy it;\

Ruby Woo
Try again. It's HELLarious!;p

iRise
Thanks:)

White Wings
They are very exhausting.

Actually, because of all the social events, I don't get the time to miss them. But on the rare cases that I do, it's definitely worth seeing them:)

Kaos
That's all it is to me.. noise.

Read the very first post on this blog:)

Unknown said...

Nope, not weird at all :)

Amethyst said...

N.
Thanks;p